Make sure you visit an emergency room. Urgent care clinics offer quick walk-in services without an appointment, but these facilities are not considered to be "emergency rooms." If you go to an urgent care clinic, make sure you follow your plan's rules for getting urgent care.
What's an Emergency?
A medical emergency is defined as the sudden and unexpected onset of a medical condition that:
- is threatening to life, limb or eyesight
- requires immediate medical treatment or
- manifests painful symptoms that requires immediate reponse to alleviate suffering
>>Learn More about What's Covered
Still not sure?
Call the Nurse Advice Line: 1-800-TRICARE, Option 1
- Talk to a registered nurse
- Get health care advice
- Ask urgent care questions
- Get help finding a doctor
Enrolled in a Prime Plan?
Call your primary care manager within 24 hours or the next business day after getting emergency care to get authorization and coordinate ongoing care.
Prime plans include:
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Prime Overseas
- TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas
- TRICARE Young Adult-Prime