TRICARE Dental Program
The TRICARE Dental Program is a voluntary, premium-based dental insurance plan for:
- Family members of active duty service members
- Family members of National Guard/Reserve members
- National Guard/Reserve Members who are not on active duty or covered by the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) after serving on active duty for more than 30 consecutive days in support of a contingency operation.
Note: National Guard/Reserve members who are on active duty or covered by TAMP use the TRICARE Active Duty Dental Program
TRICARE Dental Program Contractor
TRICARE has partnered with the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (MetLife) for enrollment, claims processing, and customer service for the TRICARE Dental Program. Register online with MetLife to create your own "Dental Benefits" account with secure features that allow you to:
- View plan coverage details
- Check a claim
- View claims history
- View explanation of benefits
- Access tools and resources
- Access the "Find a Dentist" feature
- File a grievance online
Additionally, once signed in, you can view frequently asked questions and oral health information, download commonly used forms/documents, the TRICARE Dental Program Benefit Booklet and other materials. A Department of Defense Self-Service Logon is required to log in.
The TRICARE Dental Program provides coverage worldwide and is managed in two service areas:
- CONUS Service Area: United States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
- OCONUS Service Area: Canada, all other countries, island masses, and territorial waters; as well as civilian ships or vessels outside the territorial waters of the CONUS service area, regardless of the dentist's office address
The TRICARE Dental Program offers comprehensive dental coverage which includes:
- Diagnostic and preventive services (exams, cleanings, fluorides, sealants, and X-rays)
- Basic restorative services (fillings, including tooth-colored [white] fillings on back teeth).
- Endodontics (root canals)
- Periodontics (gum surgery)
- Oral surgery (tooth extractions)
- Prosthodontics (crowns, dentures)
- Orthodontics (braces)
- Note: There are some age limitations to orthodontic coverage.
- Scaling and root planing (deep cleaning) for diabetics at no cost
- Additional 3rd cleaning for women during pregnancy
For more detailed information about the covered services, limitations and exclusions, download the TRICARE Dental Program Benefit Booklet.