Is It Covered?
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
- X-ray services when
- Prescribed by a physician, and
- Related to a specific illness or injury or a definitive set of symptoms
- Portable X-ray services
- Suppliers must meet the conditions of coverage of the Medicare program or the Medicaid program in that state in which the covered service is provided.
- Reasonable transportation and set-up charges are covered and separately reimbursable.
TRICARE doesn't cover X-rays that aren't related to a specific illness or injury or a definitive set of symptoms except for:
- Cancer screening mammography
- Cancer screening papanicolaou (PAP) tests
- Other tests allowed under the Preventive Services benefit
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.