Is It Covered?
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
Skilled Nursing Facility Care
Skilled nursing facilities provides skilled nursing, rehabilitation, and other care, including medications. Skilled nursing facilities are not nursing homes or intermediate facilities.
- You may qualify if:
- you're treated in a hospital for at least three consecutive days, not including the day of discharge, and
- you enter the skilled nursing facility within 30 days of the hospital discharge.
- No day limit as long as the care is medically necessary
- Prior authorization is only required for active duty service members and Medicare-eligible beneficiaries.
- Skilled nursing facility care is only covered in the United States, District of Columbia and U.S. Territories.
Covered skilled nursing services include:
- a semi-private room,
- regular nursing services,
- meals (including special diets),
- physical, occupational and speech therapy,
- medications provided by the facility, and
- necessary medical supplies and appliances.
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.