Is It Covered?
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
Residential Treatment Centers
Residential treatment centers provide:
- extended care for children and adolescents (some up to age 21)
- who have psychological disorders
- that require continued treatment in a therapeutic environment.
Your psychiatrist or clinical psychologist will recommend residential treatment center care when appropriate.
TRICARE covers 150 days in a residential treatment center per fiscal yearOctober 1 – September 30. TRICARE may cover more days if it's medically or psychologically necessary.
- You must have prior authorization from your regional contractor.
- The residential treatment center must be TRICARE-authorized.
- It doesn't count toward the 30- or 45- day limit of acute inpatient psychiatric care.
- Unless therapeutically contraindicated, the family and/or guardian should actively participate in the continuing care of the patient either through direct involvement at the facility or through geographically distant family therapy.
- Only available in the United States, District of Columbia and U.S. Territories.
TRICARE doesn't cover residential treatment center care for emergencies or for an admission primarily for substance use rehabilitation.
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.