See What's Covered
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
Prosthetic Devices and Supplies
TRICARE covers prosthetics, prosthetic devices, and prosthetic supplies necessary because of significant conditions resulting from trauma, congenital anomalies or disease.
TRICARE also covers:
- Any accessory or item of supply that is used in conjunction with the device for the purpose of achieving therapeutic benefit and proper functioning
- Services necessary to train the recipient of the device in the use of the device
- Repair of the device for normal wear and tear or damage
- Customization of the prosthetic is covered when provided by an otherwise authorized provider.
- Replacement when required due to growth or a change in the patient's condition if the device is lost or irreparably damaged or the cost of repair would exceed 60 percent of the cost of replacement.
- Surgical implants that are approved for use in humans by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Prosthetic devices with an FDA-approved investigational device exemption (IDE) categorized by the FDA as non-experimental/ investigational (FDA Category B) will be considered for coverage. Coverage is dependent on the device meeting all other requirements of the law and rules governing TRICARE and upon the beneficiary involved meeting FDA-approved IDE study protocols.
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.