Is It Covered?
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
Diabetic Supplies and Equipment
The following diabetic supplies are covered by the TRICARE pharmacy benefit and may be obtained from a military treatment facility pharmacy, through the TRICARE mail order pharmacy or at any TRICARE network pharmacy. The regular prescription copayments will apply.
- Insulin Products
- Medicare does not cover insulin. TRICARE is the primary payer for insulin products.
- Blood & Urine Glucose Test Strips
- Blood & Urine Ketone/Acetone Test Strips
- Diabetic Syringes and Needles
Medicare does not cover syringes. TRICARE is the primary payer for these diabetic supplies.
TRICARE covers the following diabetic equipment under the TRICARE medical program as durable medical equipment.
- Home glucose monitors
- Continuous glucose monitors are a limited benefit
- Insulin infusion pumps are a covered benefit for beneficiaries with:
- Insulin-dependent type 1 diabetes mellitus when there is documentation by the physician of poor diabetic control
- Cystic fibrosis related diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes when there is documentation by the physician of poor diabetic control and the patient has failed to achieve glycemic control after six months of multiple daily injection therapy
See also Diabetes Outpatient Self-Management Training and Orthotics for additional diabetic services covered.
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.