Is It Covered?
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
Diabetic Supplies and Equipment
TRICARE covers diabetic supplies through the pharmacy and medical benefits.
You can get the following diabetic supplies from a military pharmacy, through home delivery or at any TRICARE network pharmacy. Your prescription copayments will apply.
- Insulin Products
- Medicare does not cover insulin. TRICARE is the primary payer for insulin products.
- Blood and Urine Glucose Test Strips
- Blood and Urine Ketone/Acetone Test Strips
- Diabetic Syringes and Needles
Medicare doesn't cover syringes. TRICARE is the primary payer for these diabetic supplies.
The following diabetic supplies are covered as durable medical equipment:
- Home glucose monitors
- Continuous glucose monitors are a limited benefit
- Insulin infusion pumps are a covered benefit for beneficiaries with:
- Insulin-dependent type 1 diabetes mellitus when there is documentation by the physician of poor diabetic control
- Cystic fibrosis related diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes when there is documentation by the physician of poor diabetic control and the patient has failed to achieve glycemic control after six months of multiple daily injection therapy
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.