See What's Covered
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
TRICARE covers the following breast exams:
- Clinical breast exams for women under age 40 may be performed during a covered periodic preventive health exam. After age 40, clinical breast exams should be performed annually.
- Annual screening mammograms for women beginning at age 40. For women who have a 15% higher risk, TRICARE covers mammograms annually beginning at age 30.
- Annual screening breast magnetic resonance imaging (this is in addition to the annual screening mammogram) beginning at age 30, for women who have a 20% or greater lifetime risk of breast cancer, according to risk assessment tools based on family history, or who have any of the following risk factors:
- Women with a known BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation
- Women with a first degree relative (parent, child, sibling) with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation, and have not had genetic testing themselves
- History of radiation therapy to the chest between the ages of 10 and 30
- History of LiFraumeni, Cowden, or hereditary diffuse gastric cancer syndrome, or first-degree relative with a history of one of these syndromes
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.