Is It Covered?
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
Acute Inpatient Psychiatric Care
TRICARE covers 30 or 45 days of acute inpatient psychiatric care per fiscal year(October 1 - September 30), depending on your age at the time of admission:
- Patients age 19 and older are limited to 30 days per fiscal year or in any single admission.
- Patients age 18 and under are limited to 45 days per fiscal year or in any single admission.
Acute inpatient psychiatric care is covered on an emergency or non-emergency basis.
- In the case of an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
- For non-emergency care:
- Your doctor will refer you to an acute inpatient psychiatric program if he or she thinks it's needed.
- You must have prior authorization from your regional contractor.
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.