Assisted Reproductive Services
|Covered by TRICARE?||Limits|
Some services may be covered in certain situations
TRICARE may cover some types of assisted reproductive services. The services must be medically necessary and combined with natural conception.
- Diagnosis and treatment for an illness or injury of the male or female reproductive system. This includes correcting any physical cause of infertility
- Care for erectile dysfunction if it has a physical cause.
- Diagnostic services like:
- Semen analysis
- Hormone evaluation
- Chromosomal studies
- Immunologic studies
- Special and sperm function tests
- Bacteriologic investigation
Check with your regional contractor before receiving services. They may require preauthorization.
TRICARE doesn’t cover:
- Artificial or intrauterine insemination
- Any costs related to donors or semen banks
- Reversal of tubal ligation or vasectomy, unless medically necessary
- Care for erectile dysfunction from psychological causes, including:
- Non-coital reproductive procedures, services or supplies, including:
- In vitro fertilization
- Gamete intrafallopian transfer
- Zygote intrafallopian transfer
- Tubal embryo transfer
Were you injured on active duty?
If you're a service member (male or female) who:
- Is on active duty,
- Had a serious illness or injury while on active duty (Category II or III),
- Lost natural reproductive ability due to that illness or injury, and
- Has a lawful spouse
Then the following services may be available:
- Sperm retrieval
- Egg retrieval
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Artificial insemination
- Blastocyst implantation
- Cryopreservation and storage of embryos
The following isn't included:
- Fertility preservation
If you get care or medication in the civilian sector, you must use participating network providers if available. You must get preauthorization for every IVF cycle.