Stay Current: Update DEERS Today


As summer approaches many service members and their families are gearing up for permanent change of station moves, and retirees may be heading north after spending the winter in warmer climes. An important part of any move for TRICARE beneficiaries – active, reserve and retired – is updating their Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) information to make sure their health care follows them to their new address.

This means making sure that all personal information - phone numbers, postal and email addresses – is up to date. Also, just like when moving, sponsors who experience any of the following life events must update their DEERS records as soon as possible:

  • Activation
  • Deactivation
  • Separation or retirement
  • Becoming Medicare eligible

Making changes to DEERS information is easy and can be done online at milConnect (, by fax or mail, or in person at the nearest uniformed services identification card office. For more information on how to update DEERS information, go to

 Other life events that affect DEERS eligibility and require an update to beneficiary information are:

  • Marriage or divorce
  • Birth or adoption of a child
  • Medicare eligibility or loss of eligibility
  • Change in a student’s enrollment status

Survivors whose sponsors have died are responsible for making DEERS updates.

Many DEERS updates require supporting documentation: marriage licenses, birth or death certificates, Medicare cards or DD-214 discharge forms. Be sure to bring copies of all paperwork that might be needed when updating DEERS information. For questions about TRICARE eligibility, please visit

Last Updated 3/31/2015